Friday, December 4, 2009

Day Two: Critique Group

I met with my critique group last night.  We had a new person which is always interesting.  It's fun to hear a new perspective, and a new person's work. 

I myself am sold on the idea of critique groups, but I know that a lot of people are against them.  If you're pre-published as Lynn Oliver head of SCBWI calls it, then I highly recomend being in a critique group.  If nothing else, you'll have a reason to get something prepared at least once per month.  If you're not a published author or even if you are, but you have another job, it's easy to get distracted and let your writing flounder. 

My critique group has been great.  I've learned a ton from them.  I remember my first meeting.  I'd written my manuscript, typed it up, had all the commas in the right place.  I was sure that they would tell me to get this in the hands of a publisher as soon as possible.  Instead they said, "I don't understand your point-of-view."  I was shocked.  Worse than that, I had no idea what they were talking about.  I had to reasearch, read, study and ultimately re-write the whole manuscript to clean up my POV.  And still I'm contemplating changing it from multiple POV to just one. 

Ultimately, it's my decision what I do with the feedback I get from my critique group, but if not for them I would have wasted a lot of people's time, and spoiled my own chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment