Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day Four: On Revision and Cutting Scenes

I finished my scene cards and now I'm cutting seeral major scenes from my manuscript.  This is not as painful as I would have first thought.  I've started to think of my earliest drafts and a lump of clay.  I'm not a potter, but I know that to work with clay, you first have to kneed all of the air out.  If you leave air bubbles, they will explode in the kiln and ruin your project.  As much as I loved those scenes when I wrote them, I see now that they are air bubbles that need to be forced out. 

Besides, I can always save them, and they may become useful at some point in the future.  I'm kindof liking this clay metaphore.  It's been really helpful in getting my head where it needs to be for revision.

No comments:

Post a Comment