Thursday, January 21, 2010

Interior Monologue

Yesterday I highlighted all of the interior monologue in my book.  Now I need to go back and review it and find out if it needs or does not need thinker attributions.  I think probably not in most cases.  Milo is the only one who has any interior monologue, except for a few rare cases where Grandmother Oakentower has a snarky thought on something.  So I'll probably eliminate most of the thinker attributions.  I just typed those without much real thought in my first draft. 

The next thing is to look at mechanics and here I must say I'm confused:  I don't know if I should use italics for all (in which case there could be a lot of italics), 1st person when for all of Milo's interior dialogue (some came out naturally in the 1st person, but I don't know if that would work for all.)  Another option is to put them in a separate paragraph.

I'm going to get some advise from some of the gurus.

Also, critique group meeting tonight.  This will be our first time to meet twice in a month, although I don't know if you can count that first week in Jan because we had 20 below wind chill and 18 inches of snow.  Anyway, it will be good to see everyone and really get back into the swing for 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment