Thursday, February 18, 2010

Attention To Detail

Lack of attention to detail is one of my biggest failings.  It never fails to get me in trouble, especially when I'm in a hurry to complete something.  My latest blunder was entering a contest that clearly stated that I needed to not only add the contests blog to my blog roll, but also include the information in my e-mail.  I added the contest  site to my blog roll, but didn't put it in the e-mail.  Major gaff!  I'm sure this will spell doom for my chances in the contest, since they get so many entries, anything that's not flawless will get the boot.

My mom finished reading my story in very short order and found a few corrections for me.  It's always so helpful to have that second pair of eyes, or third pair, or sixteenth pair.  I was pleased to see that after all my hard work, there were only about 25 things that needed to be fixed.  I'm not kidding about that.  25 words out of 30,000 is a big drop in errors.  All of my attention to detail on the final round of red pen revisions must have really worked. 

Tonight is 2nd Thursday critique group, and I'm going to exchange manuscripts with another member of my group.  I'm very excited to read her story.  She has a wonderful imagination and a great voice. 

Even though I'm not doing any of my own revisions right now, I'm still hard at work on other writing projects.  I think I've found a way to resurect one of my older stories and improve the beginning which has always been troublesome.  So busy busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment