Friday, July 30, 2010

The Day After The Night Before

Milo and I attended a very fun party yesterday hosted by Hanna Howard on her blog.

It was all I could do to keep Milo from over indulging in the dandilion tea, and he's feeling a bit barfy this morning.

But we met some fascinating people.

Two really stunning girls who almost came to blows over Milo's cute cuddliness, but were both a bit put off by the maggots. (Milo is the MC in my MG Adventure, Zombie Rabbit). We had to really try to keep this information from reaching Bonnie, (his owl pellet girl friend). I suspect she knows something becasue she's been babbling about it all morning.

There was also an industrious young lady who kept her hoodie over her face the whole time, but Milo suspects she's lovely. (And I agree)

Milo thinks that there was a spark between this young lady and the male kindergarten teacher that attended. I'm with Milo, I think they'd make a great couple.

And I was particularly facsinated with the albino young man who devotes his life to book restoration. Milo doesn't appreciate how difficult a physical difference, such as albinism, can make life for humans. Albinism is a highly sought after quality in rabbit society. But I really felt for the challenges this young man has to face on a daily basis. At least he lives in Alaska, unlike the two albino orphans I know who live in Africa. These unfortunate children are under threat of being hunted by witch doctors for their body parts. Anyway, I digress.

Milo and I had so much fun. You can check out the guest interactions on hanna's blog: http://lunathetypewriter.blogspot.com. We had never attended a character party, but it was really cool.

Have you ever been to a party where your characters attended and interacted with the characters of other people's books? I thought it really streched Milo to see how he acted around people, not to mention under the effects of dandilion tea.

Thank you Hanna for the party

4 comments:

  1. I thought the party was amazing. I've never done anything like this before - trying to speak in the voice of my character out of the context of the story. I think I got it okay.

    What was also exciting for me was coming up with an occupation for Charlie. It's not a part of my character sketch and was probably not something that would have ever come up. Charlie isn't my main character and he really only exists to give another POV on Ana and Paul. (Still, I somehow love him way more than both Ana and Paul. They are both such killjoys. Charlie is fun) Anyway, Ana is a writer. And Paul is an artist turned watch maker (inherited profession). And I thought - is Charlie unemployed? He's sort of my black sheep, but is he THAT much of a black sheep? I know Charlie's always searching for acceptance, but he's such a sweetheart.... Kindergarten teacher came to me suddenly and it just clicked. I love that that's what he does.

    This is a long comment. All in all, I had fun. You have a great voice. I can't wait to hear more about Milo. You are on my Google Reader now, so I'll be watching your progress and cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds incredibly fun! And a great way to feel/flesh your character out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time. I've not taken part in a party of that type before.

    W.I.P. It: A Writer's Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I have to say is that I laughed out loud when I saw the word "barfy." Why is this not in my everyday vocabulary?

    ReplyDelete